July and August are not optimal months for planting or moving plants around, unless you want to plant a couple tropicals in the ground or create some container plantings you may have to water everyday. There are a couple other things you can do during August, but I'll save those for another post! July and August are wonderful months for dreaming about what you want to do when it cools down in October! I love to fantasize about changing things as I lie in patio because it's too hot to do anything else!
Make some notes as you walk around your property making sure everything's getting enough water:
- What areas didn't impress this Spring?
- Which plants need to be rejuvenated by being cut back hard? -- the end of summer is a great time, and in Winter, before Spring growth. Candidates for this include ornamental grasses and salvias.
- Which perennials and annuals need to be replaced?
- Do you have plenty of comfortable places to sit outside?
- Are you attracting Hummingbirds and Butterflies?
- Would you like to cut your water bill by replanting some areas?